Friday, March 24, 2006


Nick Sun…..hmmm… .


Wednesday 8th March



Nick Sun’s performance was very raw. I’m not sure if he was ‘in character’ or if this was what he is like in real life, but here was a very angry young man. He bounced between being indifferent to the audience, to ‘grovelling’ for attention/affection. He didn’t want to need anyone, but clearly did. He seemed to be displaying signs of depression, asking what is there to life. He seemed critical and intolerant of others he disliked yet freely admitted his need for acceptance from the audience.

His persona didn’t seem to have much of a life to talk about. I imagined him spending his days lounging on a couch in front of the television. I tried to understand what it was about him that created this image. The image he portrayed was that of a dishevelled young man, down on his luck financially, yet lacking motivation to do anything about it. I was really curious to know if this was ‘the real him’. He talked about only being able to afford half a sandwich and staying in backpacker style shared accommodation which made me ask myself why is he doing this, he doesn’t seem to be enjoying it much.

The flyers for his show caught my attention, and after seeing him perform added another dimension to this man. The front shows a picture of him sleeping/eyes closed. You can see his ‘wild’ hair and the word ‘hmmm…’ is displayed across the top. I heard a radio interview with another comedian who was asked about the name of their show. The performer replied that they have to submit a name months before the festival and are stuck with that name, it can’t be changed. I wonder what Nick Sun was thinking when they asked him – ‘hmmm…’

His flyer also shows a (bad) photocopy of a review with most of the words blacked out so it just reads:

“….he’s…..wild…..Nick Sun has…..success…..There’s really good…..material…..fluency and audience management…..mature…..He’s game…….Try it…”

and extra ‘stars’ are glued messily next to the original stars awarded in the review. On the back are favourable comments/quotes, yet a closer look has them supposedly said by ‘Nick Sun’. I found the flyer very clever and appealing. It made me want to see this show.

I didn’t find him very funny, but others in the room did. He didn’t use the audience much. He seemed intent on delivering his tirade of injustices, or indifference to situations he finds himself in, with a ‘what’s the point of caring’ attitude that I found sad and lonely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home